These days, most cities and venues offer both guided and self-guided options for sightseeing and discovery, and sometimes it can be hard to know which is right for you. Well we’ve prepared a helpful guide to ensure you chose the best option to suit your traveller style, and get the very best out of your trip.
Self Guided Audio Tours
This is the option where you’re going it alone! Well, by alone we mean without the accompaniment of a physical in real life tour guide, but this doesn’t necessarily mean that you lose the benefits of having access to a guide all together. These days, using simple app based technology, you can turn your mobile phone into your own personal tour guide, offering interactions through both audio and navigation functionalities… the only difference is that they won’t respond back to you (for now). Take a look at the Vox City app for example, where you can choose from over 50 different city and venue audio guided tours globally.
So here’s the benefits:
- The number one benefit to self guiding is that you’re in control of your own itinerary. You can decide how long to stay in one specific place, which points of interest to visit first, or which ones you’d rather skip.
- Most self-guided audio tours will come with multilingual commentary, so you’re able to listen in your own language regardless or where you are.
- No strict timings to keep to, unlike with a guided tour.
- In light of current events, it’s more important than ever to be able to enjoy your sightseeing experience in a socially distanced environment, so in going it alone your avoiding those big tour groups.
- Usually the cheaper option, since the cost of a tour guide is not involved
Here’s the option where you do get to benefit from that in real life tour guide, that will accompany you for the duration of your activity.
And the benefits are:
- Many would say is that human interaction can never be beaten or replaced (Especially having been in lockdown quite some time).
- Your guide should be a local expert, so if you want to ask them where the best restaurant is to get pizza, or where to find other local hidden gems, go right ahead and ask them.
- There’s not much planning you need to do prior, other than to turn up at the right place at the right time. Everything else itinerary wise will be taken care of for you.
- Tour guides give you a sense of comfort in an unfamiliar place.
- You’ll more than likely be in a small group, which means you’re able to meet and socialise with likeminded people. You never know, a friendship may’ve blossomed even before the end of the tour!
So hopefully now after reading through the benefits of both guided and self-guided tours, you’ll be able to connect your preferred style of travel with one option more than the other. Get booking and enjoy!